This is an excellent cleansing recipe that can be prepared as either a refreshing side, or as a very filling main dish. Beets (both the roots and stems) have stimulating effects on the liver's detoxification process and also serve as a great source of folic acid, fiber, manganese, and potassium. Additionally, their bright purple color comes from betacyanin, a powerful cancer-fighting agent.
Beet & Carrot Slaw
3-4 beets, peeled
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2-3 apples, cored and cut into chunks
1 cup raw walnuts or pecans, soaked and dehydrated until crispy
1 " ginger root, minced
1/4 cup grated unsweetened coconut
1 orange or lemon
olive oil, 1-2 tbsp
sea salt, to taste
1. Put beets and carrots into a food processor and chop until grated. Remove to a serving bowl. *I did not use the grater part of my food processor. Instead, I used my Vitamix. My container has a wide base, as opposed to most that have a narrow base. I would suggest using a food processor unless you have the Vitamix 750.
2. Grate the orange or lemon peel over the beets and carrots.
3. Place the apples (in chunks) in the fod processor bowl with the juice of one orange. Pulse to grate and add to the beet/carrot mixture.
4. Place walnuts or pecans into the food processor and chop. Remove to beet/carrot bowl.
5. Add coconut, olive oil, sea salt and mix. Allow to sit for the flavors to marry.