This creamy goodness is so blissful it feels wrong! While it does have some natural sugar from coconut nectar, it's paired with healthy fat from the avocados, which will make it more stabilizing for blood sugar. I've also added more water to the recipe and used it as chocolate frosting for a cake. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup pitted medjool dates, soaked to soften
- 1/4-1/2 cup coconut nectar or honey, or a combination of both
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed avocado (about 3 avo's)
- 3/4 cup organic cocoa, cacao, or carob powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water
- fresh berries, for topping
- Place the dates, coconut nectar, and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth. ( I like to use coconut nectar because it has a more neutral flavor, but honey can get the job done as well. Maple syrup is another option, although it will impart more of its own flavor).
- Add the mashed avocado and cocoa powder and process until creamy, scarping down the sides of the bowl every 5 seconds or so. (Cacao is raw and has a slightly bitter taste. Carob is a good alternative to cacao because it's not as stimulating. Personally, if I have cacao after 3 pm, I have a hard time sleeping at night!)
- Start with 1/4 cup water and process again. Add more if necessary. Serve immediately, or chilled.
- Be fancy and serve in a martini glass, with berries on top!