Cabbage, along with other cruciferous vegetables, are excellent at supporting the liver. I’ve recently been interested in liver support due to its connection with detoxifying excess hormones (namely estrogen) which is critical in hormone balancing and preventing terrible PMS!
To make sure I get in enough cruciferous veggies, I buy 1 head of cabbage per week. Some weeks I rough chop it and then roast with other veggies, and other weeks I slice it thin for a slaw. Since it’s spring time I’m naturally inclined to more raw salads, and this one in particular has been hitting the spot!
Cabbage & Radish Liver Boosting Slaw
- ¼ head of green cabbage, sliced thin using a mandolin
- 2-3 radishes, sliced thin using a mandolin
- 2-3 stalks green onion, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ½ bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
Toss all ingredients into a bowl. Double the batch for salads during the week.
Orange Sesame Citrus Sauce
This versatile sauce is excellent over a hearty green salad or slaw, drizzled over cooked greens/roasted vegetables, or as a dip for spring rolls/nori rolls. It will be thin when you first make it, then will thicken up in the refrigerator.
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 stalk green onion, roughly sliced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Zest of 1 large navel orange
- Juice of 1 large navel orange
- ¼ cup almond butter or cashew butter
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
Place all ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth.